What Will Happen to my Child in Houston Juvenile Court?

What is Going to Happen to my Child in Houston Juvenile Court? A Police Officer says my child is being charged with a crime. 

When juveniles are charged with a crime, they are often taken into custody by the police.  Some times, the child is released to a parent or guardian by the police. The parents are informed that their child is being charged but they can take their child home when this happens.  The police will then send their information regarding the case to the District Attorney over the next few days or weeks. Upon receiving the information, if the District Attorney decides to accept charges on the juvenile, a petition is filed with the juvenile courts. After it is filed, a Deputy Constable will come to your home and personally "serve" the child and his parents with documents instructing them to appear in court on a particulate date.

Call Houston Juvenile Attorney James Sullivan at (281) 546-6428 to discuss your child's case.

At the same time, the Harris County Juvenile Probation Department begins their process of gathering information about your child and your family. The probation department is responsible for preparing a probation report for the court, the prosecutor and the defense attorney. A probation office usually will call you or your child to discuss his situation. The probation officer may call you early on in the case even before the petition is filed with the court.

Before you speak with the probation officer, it is critical that you and your child consult with his or her Houston juvenile attorney because you must be careful to safeguard your child's rights. It is good to be cooperative with the probation department but it is better to talk to a Houston juvenile lawyer first.  Understand that the contents of the probation report that is given to the court and the prosecutor to consider is mostly based on the information which you have provided.

You can call Board Certified Houston Juvenile Attorney James Sullivan  (281) 546-6428 to discuss your child's case before talking with a probation officer.


Serving Houston, Cypress, Sugar Land, Clear Lake, Pasadena, La Porte, Missouri City, Friendswood, Richmond, Hempstead, Humble, Tomball, Bellaire, Deer Park, Katy and other communities in Harris County, Fort Bend County, and Waller County.

Our Houston criminal lawyers defend clients charged with crimes in district courts and county criminal courts, including domestic violence (assault of a family member), drug possession or drug delivery, violent crimes, and juvenile delinquency.