Harris County Juvenile Attorney James Sullivan is a recognized expert in juvenile law and fights to defend children accused of delinquency offenses.
Since 1994, James Sullivan has fought to defend over one thousand children. He has defended children in juvenile court on virtually every kind of delinquency case, ranging from misdemeanor possession of marijuana to felony murder.
Houston Attorney James Sullivan is Board Certified in Juvenile Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 2004. He is recognized as an expert in the highly specialized area of juvenile law.
Juvenile Law is different than criminal law. Many criminal defense lawyers advertise that they are also juvenile defense lawyers, yet they may never have tried a juvenile case to a jury. In order to hold oneself out as an expert in Juvenile Law, a lawyer has to be Board Certified in juvenile law. To become Board Certified in a specialty area, an attorney must
- have been licensed to practice law for at least five years,
- devoted a required percentage of practice to a specialty area for at least three years,
- handled a wide variety of matters in the area to demonstrate experience and involvement (including at least 3 jury trials, 5 non-jury trials and 3 certification hearings),
- attended continuing education seminars regularly to keep legal training up to date,
- been evaluated by fellow lawyers and judges, and
- passed a 6-hour written examination.
The parents of children caught up in the juvenile justice system are very concerned about how their child’s misdemeanor or felony delinquency case could impact their future. This is a very valid concern. Colleges and universities have access to juvenile records. Clearly, a juvenile delinquent is less likely to receive a highly coveted admission to a top school. Also, law enforcement has access to juvenile records. When juveniles are stopped by the police, they may be treated differently when the police know that they have a record. There are several other ways that a juvenile record could impact your child.
If your child needs a juvenile defense lawyer, contact Attorney James Sullivan at (281) 546-6428 for a free confidential consultation.